Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:45 PM   #1

I've read a lot of 'opinions' on the net about many of the most commonly "suggested" vendors on the different Google Search sites (search by cheapest)...They all seem to be in NYC. Anyway, the 3 or 4 most commonly suggested have some truly scary reviews of their: bait n switch, removing standard items from camera "package" and selling as options, taking/charging your card w/o having the item in stock etc etc.

Willoughbys is a few dollars more but shipping is included and according to their site, they ve been in business since the 1800's. BBB site on them looks good too.

Anyone have PRO/CON experience with Willoughbys ? I'm getting tired of "shopping"

RVPuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:58 AM   #2

Buyer Beware... I've no experience with Willoughbys, bought mine from Cameta (also in NY)... I read all the same types of things you did and tend to trust the experience of the other users. I never believe my luck is going to be different. Simple phone calls may help you decide. Most have toll free numbers. Anyone who asked for a credit card # first, wouldn't answer the gray market question clearly, wouldn't answer the return policy question clearly (with a straight answer of the exact policy), tried more than once to sell "add-ons", Couldn't assure me that the camera was As packaged from the factory, doesn't have my money.

Have you looked here?

More reviews if not..

Good luck,

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:16 AM   #3

i wouldnt buy anything from the NY area. Even if there are a few good places in that area there are just too many bad reviews.
the chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:35 AM   #4

Willoughbys is a Good camera shop, been around forever,they have a good sized store I used to browse thru, (and drool lol)in the heart of NY,,, Their service, &prices are usually good, but not the cheapest. There are some suspect camera shops further away, in a small condensed area of brooklyn, but this is not one of them. The old addage applies "You get what you pay for". Good luck, Mike
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote