Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 20, 2005, 3:43 AM   #1

hello guys.....hope u guys can help me in my situation........i just want to know whether the sony dsc-p5 is good enough for me?i am a beginner....i just want to take good quality of pictures........hope u guys can help me.....thanx.......
drezzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:08 AM   #2

Here are the specs for the P5...

I'm looking at the specs and I see that this was released in 2001.... 3 megapixels... 3x optical zoom... 1.5" LCD...

How much are you getting the camera for? Can you afford to spend more for newer models?

The specs look ok (zoom, megapixels, LCD size (although a bit small) are all ok IMO) but here is the problem I see... Digital cameras are one of the fastest advancing industries in the world. On the downside, this means that your camers lose value and become obsolete quickly but on the positive, this means that improvements over time are quicker and more significant. Where am I going with this?

Well, the problem with the older cameras is that they are VERY SLOW compared to present cameras. This camera is from 2001 and things have changed a lot since then. If you look at the timing tests for the P5 (click here), you'll see that this camera takes 7 seconds (!!!) to turn on. Shot-to-shot at the highest resolution FINE takes 3 seconds (!!!). This is just too slow IMO. Even the worst modern cameras (brand names; not sure about no-names) only take 1 or 2 seconds to turn on.

There have also been other improvements over the last few years but the processing power is the key one. The old cameras were just too slow.

So overall, I would not recommend this camera to you! You are better off getting a more modern camera. I don't know what your budget is but you should save up more and get a newer camera. Even in the worst case, get a no-name modern camera as opposed to a brand-name old camera.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:50 PM   #3

It all depends on the price, drezzay. The P5 is a capable beginner camera, but it is "old tech". Good ones seem to be selling for $100 or more on eBay. For just a little more, you can buy a new camera with comparable specs and faster performance. I might buy a "clean" P5 for $60 or so. For $100, I'd look elsewhere. It's a buyers market in used digicams now, and it's only going to get better.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 1:14 PM   #4

By the way, I'm waiting for the DSC-S70 to come down to $100. Sure, it's "old tech"; however, with a Carl Zeiss lens and external sync port, it's a classic, also. Here's a pic that a friend took in Alaska a couple of years ago with his S70.
Attached Images
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote