Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:01 AM   #1

I'm looking for a one camera does it all. I previously had a Canon Ixus 300 which was a good camera and focused well in low light however the images always seemed a little soft.

Recently, I moved to the Pentax Optio SV, mostly for it's 5x zoom and manual features. I eventually sold this after deciding the image quality wasn't quite there but the main reason was the poor low light focusing and the shutter lag.

I am currently playing with a Ricoh Caplio R1v which I do like as it is very fast and has great, fast focusing even in low light. My main concern with this camera is over its inconsistent image quality and even when I have it set to a low ISO, I tend to get noisy images and quite a few that look slightly out of focus.

What I am looking for now is a camera that has good image quality, excellent low light focusing and a fast response time. I would prefer to have this in as small a package as possible although I am now happy to look at a slightly bigger camera to try and meet all these criteria. I would also prefer to get a longer zoom than 3x although will stick with 3x if the camera excels in the other areas. Aperture/Shutter priority or some form of manual adjustment is also required as I learn more about photography. Thanks for any advice.
donka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:47 PM   #2
Super Moderator

you may find that Olympus's new Camedia C-70 fits your bill quite well...

7.1 megapixels, 5x zoom 38-190, quite compact with good build quality, macro focus down to 2 cm,plenty of automatic and manual features..

you could also check out the Canon S70, though its zoom is limited to 3.6xs
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:11 PM   #3

Also check out the Pentax 750Z, Sony V3 and the Canon G6.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:32 PM   #4

Check out tthe V1. Excellent focus in low light, 4x zoom, 5MP. It is rather hard to find cause its an old model. hard to grip though, battery is rather weak, and flash recharge is about 5s.
ftahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:10 PM   #5

I had a canon G3 and can say nothing but exellent, if the G6 is only 1/4 better you cant go wrong.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 11:54 PM   #6

Will the new sony camera dsc h1 with 12 x optical zoom too big. wait for its reviews when it comes out. it might be the camera you are looking for.

aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote