Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 26, 2005, 2:33 PM   #1

i am stuck on which camera to buy, nikon d70 or nikon coolpix
8800 . being a wheelchair user i don`t want to swap over lenses as i need a good zoom range. also the expert feedback
i am getting is that you don`t get the best out of the d70
unless you work on the photos afterwards, which i don`t want to do . any help ken
johnypic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:53 AM   #2

There is a huge difference between a DSLR and a prosumer. In particular, the DSLR can take MUCH BETTER low-light pics (this is because DSLRs have bigger sensors and hence produce less noise at higher ISOs). DSLRs are also more rugged, better built, etc but obviously they cost way more too (if you try replicating everything in a prosumer).

If you want zoom, you can obviously have a zoom lens attached to your DSLR and use that as your main lens. If cost is an issue, you can obviously go for a cheaper DSLR like the newly announced Canon Digital Rebel 350D.

Where the prosumer may be better is with its cost, ease-of-use and neat features like movie mode, image stabilization, flip-out LCD, etc. For instance, some of these prosumers (including Nikon 8800) have a flip-out LCD and this may help a wheelchair user (I'm just guessing--not sure... you can keep your camera on your lap and take the pic--but there may be "handshake" depending on how stable you are).

If you don't plan on taking too many low-light pics (eg. indoors, night, etc) then I would probably look at a prosumer like Nikon 8800, Konica Minolta A200, or the benchmark Olympus 8080 (but this has low zoom).... Overall, the Nikon 8800 looks to offer a good mix of the features...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote