Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:53 AM   #1

Aloha from sunny Hawaii,

I am looking for some advice on picking between these two cameras:

Nikon 8700 or the Konika Minolta A200. I am looking for a camera that I can really grow into. I plan on using this camera for family photos, scenic (from hiking), actions (kids playing athletics and surfing), and I possibly some little movies (of my children). I guess I am leaning towards the Minolta A200 because of its anti-shake technolgy and the fact that I can use the movie mode up to 15 mins. The Nikon is a little cheaper though.

Is the A200's anti-shake technology really that good? I do not have a steady hand. Any advice, tips, or first hand information on how the two cameras operate...I am all ears.

I have priced both of these cameras in the range of $699 - $799. Someone told me that if I was going to spend that kind of money on a camera, then he would suggest spending a little bit more and getting the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR. Does anyone have any comments on this?

Sorry to ask so many questions...I just like to do more research when I spend this much money on a camera.

Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

pooky1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:18 AM   #2

You really should hav asked this qustion in the "what camera should I buy" section. There are people there with a broader experience with cameras than most. Hopefully one will see the question here.

Do you not have steady hands due to a medical condition or just that you aren't steady? Being steady is something you learn. As you do more photography you will get better at it. If the problem is medical no anti-shake technology will solve the problem unless it is very minimal. Will it help? Yes, but it wont solve it. My suggestion is to use a monopod.

The Digital Rebel is a good camera. But it's fairly large and will cost you lots more money in lenses and other gear. And SLR is an entire system. It also won't be able to make movies of your kids

Unfortunately I have no experience with the 8700 or the A200, so I can't give you direct info about either camera.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:50 PM   #3

I was considering an A2 (which i think would be a better camera than the A200 largely because of the much, much higher resolution electronic viewfinder). The A2 practically sold itself to me just by how it felt in my hands! In the end I decided to go with a smaller prosumer model since size was one of the important things on my list.

Have you read the reviews about these cameras? Here on Steve's both of the cameras you mentioned are reviewd. Also DPReview has a comparison of several of the 8MP cameras, including the A2 and the 8700.

Also, word from PopPhotography is that the KM anti-shake technology works very well (on the 7D slr, but the technology is the same). However I'm sure there are limits to how much it can compensate for.

Good luck with your search! - Rafael
rafman448 is offline   Reply With Quote