Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 6, 2005, 6:34 PM   #1

Iím looking for a good digital camera to use in caving. That is the hobby of cave exploration; which often puts the camera in very wet conditions, always muddy with high humidity, lots of grit and dust. The best accommodations I can provide for the camera would be a stuff sack jammed into my pack, to be dragged and bounced around on the ground. The camera should have good low-light focusing and shooting features. Wide angle is more important than telephoto. I am a reasonably experienced amateur photographer. My current above ground cameras are and Elan IIe and a 20d. Caving I use a Rollei 35SE (one of the preferred caving standards for many years) and a Minolta Vectis Weathermatic which works well under the adverse conditions. Waterproof is a must. Additional features that would help are ISO setting greater than 400, ability to have Bulb (probably not on a digital) setting or long exposure to allow for firing off-camera strobe, a hot shoe for more powerful strobe (current one is Canon 550EX) and the ability to add a protective filter to the lens and of course, small. One camera I am considering even though it lacks many features is the soon to be released Pentax Optio WP 5MP Waterproof Digital Camera. Price is not a major concern. Any other suggestions?
caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links