Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:06 PM   #11

actually, the in-the-dark pics would be with my next camera when my S1 IS breaks. (Yes, either in the dark, or with absurdly (astrophotography range) long focal lengths, with shutter speeds fast enough in normal lighting so that I wouldn't need IS.) Right now I'm just looking for something that will be constantly with me even if it doesn't have as much zoom as the S1.

With what I'm looking for right now, I just want to not be so likely for people to be aware of their pic being taken as they are with my gigantic S1 IS.

What I'm looking for for right now is:
nightshot mode (although may be willing to sacrifice this IF camera is better than others in low light AND is cheaper. btw I have Sony DSC-V1 as a favorite search on ebay. Anyone know how to make it notify me when there is an item that meets ALL of the following criteria: < 12 hours remaining, < $25 bid price, either no reserve or reserve met?)
faster lens at all focal lengths than my S1 IS, or at least the same. F/2.8 to F/4.8 is totally unacceptable. F/2.8 to F/4.0 is borderline, F/2.8 throughout would be ok, F/2.0 to F/2.8 would be even better.
higher ISO speeds (even if they're somewhat noisy)
willing to give up most of the zoom past 100 to 150mm.
don't want it to bulge my pocket like my S1 IS does (pic attached)
Don't need super high resolution, although the more "megapixels" it has, the less zoom I will need. I'm thinking 1.3 or 2 megapixels would be fine, but even 3, 4, or 5 might be ok.
$?? or lower (not $???) preferred but depending on circumstances willing to bend rules. Too bad I didn't get on a deal I saw on ebay the other day. Canon S30 for $25 shipping, 1c buy-it-now, in working condition according to the auction. By the time I got to the auction, "Seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing." Another thing I'm getting sick of is what I think some sellers do - list a camera at a super low price, pull it at the last second especially if it would have gone for a low price saying "error in the listing" or "error in minimum bid / reserve" or something like that, or putting an absurdly low buy-it-now price, say, $1, and a high shipping cost - $100 on something. I would prefer that they do actual carrier shipping cost, and if they want to see what people are willing to pay, list the item starting at a low price with a reserve, or at a higher price without a reserve, then when it doesn't sell, relist accordingly - drop the price on a no-reserve auction, or list with a starting price without a reserve a little bit below the highest bid in a reserve-not-met auction.

Is there any currently-made pocketable consumer camera out there with at least 2 megapixels, a lens that opens up to at least F/4.0 at 120mm and < F/2.8 at wideangle, and a linear sensor density of less than 300 photosites per millimeter? (The Canon G6 is about 430, the A95 is about 350, the Panasonic FZ3 is about 450, the Minolta A200 is about 370, the Sony F717 is about 290, my S1 is about 385, the A80 is about 320.)
Attached Images
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:32 PM   #12

Wow. That's a heck of a rant about ebay but you are right.. A lot of sellers like that and I would make note of them to stay away from them.. Lots of good deals can be had though with buy it nows and reasonable shipping.. Some like to offer a low price on the camera and gouge on the shipping costs.. I've seen them as high as $50 just for shipping.. Try buying a memory card from some of those sharks and you'll pay $10 for postage on something the size of a postage stamp.

Anyway, to answer your notification question, you can set up "MY EBAY" to notify you within 5 hours of auction end, though the email doesn't usually reach you until 2 hours before. You will also be able to keep track of the auction better that way.. Something you might want to consider, is auctionsniper.com.. Which will, on the first 3 sucessful uses (auction won) for free, place your bid at anytime you wish. This is most useful when you know what you are willing to pay and don't want to get into a bidding war, paying FAR more than you wanted to..

The Sony 7x7 cameras are the only ones I know of with night shot capability, and that might be the earlier ones only. My ownership of digital cameras is limited to 2 and while the FZ20 (or other FZ) might get you what you want, it is noisy.. Not a person but if you want to play with it you are welcome to it. There is only 1 60 watt light to the side and back of the camera...

Of course, the FZ20 completely blows your stealth requirment away..

ISO 400, 135mm equiv focal length, f2.8, 1/4 second (exif should be in tact)..
Attached Images
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote