Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:57 PM   #1

Great, informational website, glad to be a part of it.

Long time amateurphotographer using Canon products in need of a digital camcorder for shooting daughters soccer games. College is coming up and we are putting together the highlight reels so to speak. Am looking for a full featured, compact MiniDV camcorder that will do the job. What features should I be looking? What's important, what's not?

Will be shooting probably 50% daylight games, 50% night games with stadium lighting. Would like to stay Canon,.. but will consider other brands.

Optical zoom seems to be one of the big issues,.. Is 10X good enough,.. or do I need 14X or 20X. (Why does 20X only seem to be available in the lower priced models,..??)

Any advice the group can offer up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MarkE94 (Mark)

MarkE94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2005, 6:31 PM   #2

The ZR series from Canon will really shine in the daylight and have most of the features you would want- and they have an analog-to-digital pass through if you ever want to convert older videotapes, etc. you have to DV. Any lower-end 1 CCD camcorder will start to get noisy / grainy when there's less light available. The only real way to avoid that is get a 3-CCD model ($$$), which is probably more camera than you really want or need. The mid-level priced Canon Eluras might do better in dim lighting than the ZR's,but of course we have no way of knowing just how light or dark those stadium lamps really are.
S1Artiste is offline   Reply With Quote