Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2005, 6:08 PM   #1

I have been using a Fuji 6900Z for the past few years and would like to upgrade. I guess I would be considered an advanced amateur. I basically take pictures at family gatherings, on vacations, and of birds, butterflies, landscapes etc. I have done one wedding for a niece (they hired someone to shoot some group shots before the wedding and I did the rest). The pictures turned out pretty good although I had difficulty with a few pictures due to focusing problems in low light at the reception, which is a problem with the 6900. I am doing another wedding in June for a friend (this time by myself). If this goes OK, I might be tempted to do more of this to help pay for my camera investment.
I always enhance my pictures via PhotoImpact.
My budget is around $1000, but could go a little more if convinced it was worth it for my needs and for longer term camera use. I do not own any lenses which could be used for a dSLR camera. I do have a Sunpak 383 flash.

The Olympus 8080 is a very nice camera and was recently picked as the best camera in the Advanced-Magazoom category via the DIWA awards. Would this camera be sufficient? I don't know how the picture quality would be compared to the following cameras.

The new Rebel XT looks sweet, but in reading some posts in these forums, it has been recommended to opt for the better 17-85 lens but that lens costs $600. I read a review of the $100 lens that you can get with the XT, and it recommended getting it as the overall quality is worth it. I haven't seen any pictures with each lens, so I don't know how significant the difference in picture quality is. I am sure the 17-85 lens would be much better, but then again, I hadn't planned on spending $1500 for a camera, not counting the memory I would have to buy.

Then there is the Nikon D70 which is an excellent camera. It was listed on E-bay today - new, US warranty, with the Nikon 28-80/3.3-5.6 G AF Nikkor Lens and Nikon 70-300/4-5.6 G AFD Nikkor Lens, a 1 GB card and more for $1200+. It was listed by a Power Seller with a 99.3% positive rating.
I don't live where I have access to any of the higher end cameras to look at in person.
Choices, choices, choices???

Tom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:46 PM   #2

For what you are planning you should opt for the DSLR. I would go to both the Nikon and Canon DSLR forums and ask your questions.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote