Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:28 PM   #1

I am new to the world of advanced photography, I currently own a Canon S230 Digital Elph. I am looking to upgrade to a "real" camera becasue of my frustration with both the slowness and lack of quality shots of this pocket camera. I want to be able to grow and learn with this new camera purchase.

From everything I've read the FZ-20 gets fantastic reviews. I have printed out on full 8 1/2 x 11 photo paper different samples of pix from the FZ-20 and the Minolta A200 and I think the Minolta is both more detailed and certainly the flash photos indoors look more natural and less saturated. Is this becasue the extra 3mp is showing more detail and perhaps the FZ-20 is just not a good indoor performer?

I need a camera that will be a strong performer indoors for taking photos of my family,etc. In fact, at least 50% of the photos will be indoors of my kids and probably flash will be used in most. Am I looking at the wrong camera in the Fz-20? Do yo think the A200 would be a better choice?

911guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 7:35 AM   #2

I think you've answered your own question. If you are unimpressed with aspects of the FZ20 then A200 it is (or A2, if you are liking that line). Personally, I was considering the same choice a couple months ago and went with the FZ20. I haven't looked back since. The only thing I really miss that I don't have with the FZ20 is a RAW format.. The main reason I chose the FZ however is the lens.. Hard to beat a Leica 12x optical zoom with f2.8 throughout.. In considering the Minoltas I asked, if I'm going to spend that much, why not go dSLR??? Not much more $$ for an entry level outfit but a Lot more camera..

Just my 2 cents.. You are the one that has to be happy with it..

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote