Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:40 PM   #1

New baby. Not happy with indoor flash picture quality on my Casio EX-S2. I like the Canon A75 and corresponding Nikon Coolpix models. But Ritz has a clearance deal on a Panasonic FZ-1 2MP 12X Zoom camera. I really like the camera but for the same money would I be better with a higher MP camera?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

ps. I'm a novice but I'm really getting into photography and I'm considering taking some classes. So keep that in mind.
JamesRRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 7:49 PM   #2

I bought my brother that camera last year. Its outstanding features are 12X optical zoom and image stabilization. However, it's not the greatest camera for indoor shots under less than ideal lighting.

I would consider a shorter zoom camera like the A75 (or A510, A520, A85, etc.) first unless you want to take a lot of zoom shots. Until your child learns to walk fast, you won't be taking lots of zoom shots of him/her.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:34 PM   #3

I am not a fan of buying older models unless you are really tight on cash. Digicam technology improves rapidly so you may get something much better in a newer model for a little more money. Maybe the 2004 Panasonic FZ3 is a better bet (price for this might even drop as the 2005 FZ4/FZ5 come out very soon).

Megapixels don't really make much difference except when it comes to prints. 2MP is kind of on the low end nowadays. You can get by with it but I think 3MP is a lot better. With 3MP, you can print average quality 8"x10" prints (and I would imagine that you would want some portrait sized, 8x10, prints of your baby)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote