Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:56 AM   #1

Iam looking to upgrade from my Nikon Coolpix 5000 to a dslr but can't decide which to go for. Have decided on one of the following

Cano 300d (18-55mmEF-s )

Nikon D70 (18-55mm )

Canon 350d (18-55mm)

I like the look of the 300d as the price isvery attractive but i am told that the lens is a bit on the naff side though its should be better than the one on my coolpix???, so i could go for this and replace the lens at a later date (more money though).

TheD70 is about £130 more ( Nikon are doing a £100 cash backoffer at the moment) also is the lens on this good?? as i would prefer not to buy any more lens for sometime

The 350d is going to be the most exspensive but is it worth the extra money, aslo whats the lens like i was told its better than the one on the 300d???

:|Mainly take landscapes and photos of my 2 daughters

Any advice would be appeciated

happysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:44 AM   #2

Personally, I went to http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/ which provided a good comparison of the physical stats on the performance of the Cannon and the D70. The improved performance of the D70 over the Cannon persuaded me to go with the D70. I also opted to sidestep the stock lense and go for a Tamron 17-35 2.8 for about the same price. In reading on www.popphoto.com concerning comparisons, I found the 2.8 lenses to be better quality. If you're going to buy a killer digital, I wouldn't shortsheet the lense.
Yamahauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:57 AM   #3

I went through the same process a couple of weeks ago. I waited until the local camera shop got in the new Rebel, and tried all three. (I think all are excellent cameras) I was prepared to like the Rebel XT after having read all about it, but when I held it, it felt too small. I chose the D-70, just because it felt best in my hands. Honestly, I do not think you could go wrong with any of them, unless one has a feature that you feel is most important in your shooting. I chose the D-70 with the 18-70mm lens, and I love it!
JREdi is offline   Reply With Quote