Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:48 AM   #1

I'm looking at purchasing a DSLR with a good-quality telephoto lens. The following three packages / combinations add up to the same price and are within my budget (Canon 20D with same lens as Rebel XT is out of my budget). Which would you choose?

Canon Digital Rebel XT

Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS USM

Konica Minolta 7D

Konica Minolta AF 100-400mm F4.5-6.7 APO

Nikon D70

Nikon AF 80-400mm F4.5-5.6D VR

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:44 PM   #2

I would go to a camera store and play with all three. How a camera feels to you when its in your hands is probably the biggest tiebreaker among the three.

The Minolta has a big advantage for in that the antishake is built into the body - much less expensive over the long term.
jcharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 1:39 PM   #3

I agree with jcharding..go test them in the store. I wouldnt go Minolta simply b/c of fewer lens selection and the price is not worth the IS/VR for me.
now lets compare lens
canon(compares 400 prime to 100-400)

the chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 2:21 PM   #4

My choice would be the Nikon but that is predjudiced by three points.

1, I currently own and am very happy with the Nikon D70.

2, I bought my first 35mm SLR in 1964. It was a Petriflex. About a year later, I traded it in for a Nikon Photomic and, since that time , have had no reason to switch brands. It the interim, I have owned several other Nikons.

3, I have no first hand experience with the other two cameras.

Most folks who respond to your question will have used only one of the cameras you mention and will not be able to say much about the others. Those who have used two or more may have had a bad relationship with one of them that will unfairlycolor their recommendation.

The reviews on Steve's site are very thorough and, I think, unbiased. You should read the reviews of any camera or lens you are considering and use them to help in your decision.

At the time I was about to buy a DSLR, a good friend had just bought a Canon Rebel and spoke very highly of it. I checked out the Canonreviews, here and elsewhere,and they also were very positive. The two things that helped make up my mind were:

1, My previous good experience with Nikon.

2. Steve's reviews and these two reviews which make direct, faircomparisons between the Canon Digital Rebel and the Nikon D70.

Read all you can before you decide. An informed decision will save you money in the long run.

BillD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 2:53 PM   #5

The Nikon 80-400 is the slowest AF-S lens Nikon makes. The quality of the glass is good (sharp, decent contrast,...) but the AF speed is really, really bad. If you want to use this combination for things like sports, kids running around the house, dogs playing in the yard, wildlife... you will not be happy.

I know nothing about the 7D, can't help you there.

I'm not that big a fan of the DRebel line of cameras. I think the things Canon did to reduce the price hurt usability. On the other hand the D70 (From all I've heard) is a very capable camera. I've never used it (I own the 20D) so I can't say from personal experience.

I you think you're going to get into longer lenses than 400mm, then the quality of the lenses between Canon and Nikon are basically the same (very good) but Nikon charges noticably more. This helped me choose the 10D when it came out (it was up against the D100, which make it a bit easier to choose. The D70 would make it harder.)

Definitely go to a store and try them all out. Make sure they fit your hands well and the button placement/interface works for you.

Does that help?

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote