Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2005, 2:19 PM   #1

Hello All,

I'm looking for my first Digital Camera and confused a lot on which one to choose... After a long bit of research I have zoomed in on Two Cameras (Canon A95 or Canon S1 IS)... I have read some excellent reviews on A95 and its quality... But it has only 3X optical zoom... So on that front I was impressed with S1 IS which offer 10X zoom but it comes down on the MegaPixel front with only 3.2MP...

Can someone tellme how do the cameras compare in terms of Image Quality, Controls etc... Are there any features provided by A95 not there in S1 IS... Which one is better overall???

Thanks for your time...

newdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2005, 4:29 PM   #2

I have not owned either, but considered the both as well as the A85 when deciding ona camera. The image stabilization is attractive on the S1 IS, and it feels great to hold, but that's as far as its advantages go, IMO. I've looked at picture quality, especially detail, and the A85 and A95 are far superior. In fact, I'd say they're superior to my Olympus C-755, and Olympus is known for excellent picture quality. If I didn't need 10X zoom, I'd have bought the A-85.

Considering taking pictures in low light? Like many ultrazooms (my Olympus included), the S1 IS has no autofocus assist lamp and has difficulty focusing in low light. There are workarounds, but the A85 and A95 have AF lamps and pass that test with flying colors.

Image stabilization is helpful, but if you don't really need 10X, I'd say the A95 is the ticket. Check out Steve's reviews, look at the specsand his sample pictures and judge for yourself.

hakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 2:28 AM   #3

I like the Canon S1IS because of the zoom and image stabilizer but the red eye light is useless and not the best for low light. Read the reviews.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote