Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:54 PM   #1

Looking to get my 2nd digital camera to buy. Looking around this site I came up with some ideas as the title says. My 1st camera was a Kodak DC3400 2mp 3x zoom. I want something for macro (1-5cm for range) and want something I can have 8x10 made up and look nice. Don;t think I will need bigger than 8x10 but you never know. My current camera has nothing for options really. I am not too familier with all the camera specs but by reading this site I have learned alot. Alot of people say that a AF assit lamp you have to have but alot of these camera don't have one. I have no idea what to buy at this point. I liked the nikon 4800 that has the AF assist but I have no idea if I would ever use it. I orig. started looking at the Nikon 5400 but read alot of reviews about its very poor in low light or even moderate light so i pasted on that one. I kind of like the bigger zooms like 8x+. I posted another question a few days ago but go not response. So if someone could throw some ideas, questions comment I would appreciate it alot.

What I would like to have:

Zoom 6x, Good macro, maybe manual controls, whats else does one need?

Markncrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2005, 7:40 PM   #2

I don't know if this will help you, but I chose the S5100. It has a 10x zoom, 4 MP, an AF assist lamp, and it takes really good pictures. I had looked at the Minolta, the Oly, and the Panasonic Lumex...all nice cameras, but the Fuji had the combination of features and price that I was looking for.

I haven't done much macro work yet, but the AF assist is definitely a nice feature for low light situations.

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

Attached Images
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 5:01 PM   #3

The Olympus will do a wonderful job at macro, but low light will be a problem. There are workarounds, for example, I have successfully used a flashlight and a laser pointer to enable autofocus to work in low light,or have used manual focus set to the hyperfocal distance. If you don't want to mess with that, though, check through Steve's reviews for high zooms with AF lamps, like the Fuji. No camera is perfect and ultimately it will be a compromise. Depends on what's the most important factor for you.
hakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 2:31 AM   #4

The Olympus C-755 is on sale at www.outpost.com for $249 right now, but it changes quickly. I had the C-730 and was pretty happy with it. The C-755 is the last of the Oly superzooms to use AA batteries.

I have ordered the Fuji FinePix S5100, partly because it has RAW capability though the Fuji software for RAW could use some improvement.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote