Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2005, 3:42 PM   #1

I'm looking to buy to a new digital camera since mine was stolen in Mexico last week. It was an Olympus cheap which worked fine. My husband wants to buy one that has at least 4 megapixels, so I've narrowed it down to 3. Does anyone have a suggestion on which one is best. I want a small camera that I can throw in my purse to take pictures of friends at the bar, or the kids. I like these because they're small and they have a larger LCD screen. But I'm concerned about the ease of use. The three cameras are:
Minolta E50
Cannon Powershot D300
Casio Exlir EX-Z55
I have researched and researched the Cannon and Casio are comparable. Then I ran across the Minolta at Sam's Club but it seems like no ones ever used it.
Someone please help before I tear out hair! Thanks.
spoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2005, 5:45 PM   #2

The Minolta E50 is a European model that Sams evidently got hold of. Looks like a nifty little camera but I can't find specs with the flash range. It has a nice 32mm eq wide angle that would be handy for family photos, but the telephoto end is limited because they start with a wider angle.

I know it isn't much help, but they will all be very easy to use. I am assuming the Canon is the SD300. That is your best choice IMO. The Casio doesn't have a focus assist light and focuses poorly in low light. That can be frustrating. The Canon also has a good movie mode. I know it isn't a camcorder, but it is often all you have with you.

The E 50 is too much of an unknown quantity. I can't find the flash range – some can be pitiful in small cameras. The movies are 15 fps but better than the Casio. And I don't know what the low light focus is like. It might be worth the gamble as it looks to be really inexpensive. But the SD300 is really the pick of the litter IMO.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote