Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 4, 2005, 7:43 PM   #1

What camera would you recommend for indoor and outdoor photos of close-ups of orchid flowers? Would I need a special flash unit? Would I need an artificial light unit? Photos are usually taken against a blue or black background created with velvet cloth. I would not like to spend more than$1,000 to $1,200 including the lens. What would be the best lens for photographing flowers?

Currently, I useKodak DX6490 and Casio Exilim ZX55. Some pictures are good; however, someare out of focus, because these cameras do not have a good manual focus capability. In addition, depending on the light when one camera gives good colors, the other usually will mess-up the colors. Frequently the flash will white-out the flower due to reflections. Similar effect may be cause by too much light reflecting from the flower.Photographing light pink Phalaenopsis flowers is very difficult. On most photos the colors are washed out.

Normanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:47 AM   #2

Hi Norman,

You may wantto head over to the Panasonic forum and look at some of the results from members named tchuanye, willow1, and nzmacro to name a few. These guys have posted some amazing macrophotos with the Panasonic line of cameras. The panas may not be the BEST for macro work but it seems at their price level, you have a lot left over for macro lenses and accessories. Just my $.02. Hope this helps!

JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote