Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2005, 10:55 AM   #1

Hi. I'm really new at this, but I'm ready to buy a "good" digital camera. I know very little about the manual settings and all, but I'm prepared to learn.

My price range ....well.... I'd like to spend around $500 (or less), but I'm thinking of going higher if it's necessary to get a good camera to suit my needs.

Mostly, I take pictures of my almost 2-year-old daughter (snapshots) and family members. Many of these are taken indoors. The cheap camera I have now does not do a very good job with this (only 2.0 megapixels ). I'm thinking I'd like to get at least 5 mp.

I'd also like to be able to take good quality "portrait-type" pictures a few times a year (instead of going to JCPenny for example.) I might want to make enlargements of these....say up to 11x14.

I was considering an Olympus c-7000, but then I started looking at SLRs. I could get a Canon Digital rebel for a decent price, but how much can I do with the kit lens?

I'm now seriously looking at a Panasonic DMC-FZ20. It has 12x zoom...don't know what I'd need that for, but it might come in handy. I like the idea of not having to buy various lenses for whatever I need. But is this camera capable of the portrait type pictures I'd like to do?

I guess what I'm really asking is...how much difference is there between the image quality of a lower-end SLR and a good point and shoot.

If you got this far, thanks for reading and I'd love to hear any recommendations or comments.
MistyR75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:42 AM   #2

I am debating the exact same thing. I can't decide between the Rebel and the FZ20.The all in one idea of the FZ20 apeals to me. I can't see myself dragging around a bag full of lenses and stuff.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"An extrenal flash will make the FZ20 much better for portrait type shots. Here are some nice examples of what the external flash can do.

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/DMC-...st_Photos.html down nera the bottom of the page.

I hope this guy doesn't mind me posting a link to his site. I just think it's an excellent example and I didn't realise I needed an external flash until I saw it.

Anyway I would also be very interested in knowing just how much better the photo quality is with a Canon Rebel compared to an FZ20.
Rotti123 is offline   Reply With Quote