Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:38 PM   #1

For the past 5 years I have had my Canon S100 and it has served me more than well. My only complaints is the weak 2x zoom level, low light conditions and battery life. But for 95% of the time it has done what I wanted it to do and it has been the most sturdy digital camera that I have ever seen, surviving more than 10 falls on concrete and marble floors from upwards of eight feet.

Anyways, after the years of abuse and use I am looking for a new camera. So far the cameras that I am looking at are the Canon PowerShot SD500, Casio Exilim EX-Z750, Sony DSC-P150, Sony DSC-P200, Sony DSC-W7 and the Canon PowerShot S70. They all look good on paper and some may have more features that one another. Will I use all of the whistles and bells on the S70? No, but I would at least like to try them out and mess with a more manual camera. Point and shoot cameras are nice since a lot of the pictures I take are spontaneous and I dont have the time to adjust any setting in between shots. But every now and then I would like the flexibility to tweak my photos.

One thing that I wish was present on all of these cameras would be a 5x or better zoom. Other than that as of right now I wont really be able to make my decision until I see some reviews and sample photos.

To give you a time line, I'm looking at getting a new camera by mid May. If anyone could recommend one of the cameras over the other or to even give their own opinion that would be great!
kfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:57 PM   #2

A friend just got the Sony W7. I have held it in my hands, taken several photos, and looked through the menus. I have a couple of images made with the camera on my computer and have checked them out in Photoshop.

I like the W7. It seems like a solid, well built camera that takes very good photos.

On the other hand I do a lot of computer consulting and tech support. When people ask me for a nice, easy to use camera that travels well I tell them to get one of the little Canon cameras like your S100. I have several clients that took my advice and they all love their cameras. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the S70.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote