Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:36 PM   #1

Hi All,

I am planning to get a digital camera for a trip to Aust. I have 2 camera's in mind, Casio EX-P505 and Panasonic DMC-FZ5

Can anyone me advise on these 2 cameras. I mean, i know most of the specs already. I love the Casio for being small and sleek with a rotating LCD. But I have read reviews that the image produced by the Casio P505 is not the sharpest in it's class. I have downloaded a few photos and see them myself though. It appeared to have little noise and not as sharp as the Panasonic. On the other hand, the Panasonic FZ5 is bigger and more bulkier compared to the Casio P505. It also does not have a rotating LCD and it's smaller than the Casio's P505 LCD. Also I heard that the Panasonic do not have a manual focus. What is a manual focus? And is it necessary. Also, the Panasonic FZ5 does not look as sleek and unique like the Caiso P505 (My own opinion) But one thing best about the Panasonic FZ5 is that it produces better image quality than the Casio. It appeared sharper and less noiser than the Casio P505.

One thing i like to know is, whether the Panasonic has a pop-up flash like the Casio. Also the Panasonic FZ5 appeared to have a larger lens. Is having a larger lens better than a smaller lens.

Can someone compare both the Panasonic FZ5 and Casio P505 images and tell me whether I compared them correctly. That the Panasonic is much more superior than the Casio. Thank You!

So the question is, which is more important? Functionality like the Casio P505 or Photographic Qualities like the Panasonic FZ5. Of couse i'd like to have both of best worlds.

Please Advice~

Thanks you

fodio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:53 PM   #2

The biggest drawback of the P505 is a lack of an eyelevel viewfinder -- it is an LCD only camera and can be difficult to use outdoors. I would never personally own an LCD only camera - they haven't made a true daylight visible LCD yet - I am still waiting to see one :roll:
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 7:57 PM   #3

I would think that once you decide what size you want, then the functionality comes into play. What type of pictures are you most likelyt to want? Is quick auto-focus important? Will you want to take multiple pictures in a row?

I can only give you my choice between these two and it is the FZ5.

There are many favorable reviews of this camera and we are anxiously awaiting Steve's review now.

Good Luck
xjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote