Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2005, 5:00 AM   #1

I was considering buying the C7070, but waiting for the reviews, hoping that the sensor in this camera would strike a balance for this type of camera - retaining the image sharpness but being better on noise than the Oly C8080 or Nikon C8800, which is a problem at higher ISO's on these cameras, especially the latter.

Thepicture samples posted by Steve are totally different to those on the DC Resource sample pages - download and look. The former even at low ISO's are not so clever [ flat,not very sharp, bit peppery ] but the latter very promising - they almost don't look like the same camera. Now perplexed !

Has anyone any pictures to share for comparison please ?- otherwise will have to wait for the local camera shop to get one and go along with a CF card try it.

David Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:10 AM   #2

Sorry, but I have much experience of the 5060 and if the 7070 is better than that, you can do no better. Low or high ISO, the quality of my prints was always superb. I am particularly a fan of the wide angle lens on this type of camera. My friend has the 8080 Olympus but I find it not as easy to use as the 5060. I particularly do NOT like electronic viewfinders especially indoors. Sorry I can't be more help
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 8:38 PM   #3

Actually, you are in a win - win situation; the C7070 and the C8080 are both superb cameras. You are going to be satisfied with either one.

I think the picture quality is better on the C8080; the lens and the sensor are both better on the C8080. The 7070 lensis 27-110, and the C8080 is 28-140. I think the lens on the 8080 would be preferable, but you need to evaluate what zoom range would be best for you. Best of luck with your choice.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:44 PM   #4

Based on my experience with Olympus in general and seeing the photos posted here, I'd have a hard time picking any other camera than the C7070. A major selling point is its wide angle lens (27mm equivilent). Being a journalist, having the wide angle is important enough to me to ignore the fact that the camera has a proprietary battery -- which I hate.

The movie mode also is one of the best I've ever seen. The wide angle really shines there.

I currently have the Olympus D-40, but have found it difficult to hold steady with the tremor that's plagued me since childhood. This past weekend I took a photo of a forrest with buttercups. When I got it on the screen it looked like I had mistakenly turned the sharpness feature on, but I didn't. The composition was fine, the color great and when I did a close-up on the tree bark and flowers, they all seemed sharp enough. The picture just looked crappy on my monitor. I'll have to have a 5x7 made to see where the problem is. But it was a good excuse to boost my resolution, so I ordered a C7070 today.

Has anyone had any noise problem at ASAs greater than 100?

Confederate is offline   Reply With Quote