Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2005, 8:23 AM   #1

Hello there,

my daughter enjoys taking photos since she could hold a camera, at first using our analog SLR and now for the last 3+ years or so her own point-and-shoot analog camera.

We bought a digicam last year (Oly C770UZ) and it has just too much bells and whistles for a quickshot, not talking about the slow autofocus.

So this is what I am after. A digicam small enough to fit in a childs pocket, sturdy to survive 2+ years. No advanced manual controls needed but the "flash on/off". You know a fully automatic flash will ruin most dim light pics... Automatic lens cover. easy picture navigation. Small zoom range enough: 2x..3x to get the feeling. If szene programs available, this is ok, would look for AUTOMATIC, PORTRAIT, LANDSCAPE, NIGHTSHOT. Red eye redcution would be nice.

No advanced software needed, I can do the USB upload to the PC manually.

Handles should be big enough and handling easy. Maybe more symbols than text. LCD monitor size doesnt matter, she (my daughter) is used to a optical viewfinder anyway.

2 megapixels enough, if more -ok too.

You know - I mean really point and shoot. Aim - press shutter and have a pic. No hassle at all. Would even go for a fixed focus cam without zoom. Image quality matters - no point of having a disappointed photographer after she took photos home from a trip.

Camera can be an older model and should be relative cheap.

Would be interested in your opinion what camera to choose and why - maybe you have hands-on experience or kids that take photos too.

Will collect my own list in the next days and post here.

Thanks in advance for your hints,

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links