Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 15, 2005, 6:15 PM   #1

Looking for compact camera. My needs are smaller size, 5+mp, 3X or better zoom, decent image quality and easy to use (menus, controls,etc). I'm impressed w the Casio EXP 600/700, The EXZ50/55and Z 750. I've never used yet any of these . Looking for a backup to my Minolta A2 when traveling, hiking, etc. What are the +'s and -'s of these Casios ? Which do you recommend ? How do these models compare to the Canon S70, Oly C7000, Sony P200 and Pentax 750Z? Thanks. Looking fwd to your thoughts...Jerry (posted on Casio forum}
jjolexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:40 AM   #2

The 7Mp sensor on the P700 (and the other 7Mp cameras you listed) is a particularly good sensor. If the size isn't too large for you it seems a good second camera for someone familiar with the capabilities of an A2. They are all pretty simple if you leave them in program or auto.

For the smaller models with the Pentax lens I prefer the equivalent Pentax models. They are smaller but the LCD isn't usually as large as the Casio. Corners are a little soft and there is slight vignetting at wide angle on both the Casio and Pentax models, but I don't find it detracts from normal photographs unless you want to copy documents.

The S70 gives you the wide vistas you are accustomed to with the A2 but the telephoto range is pretty limited. It has a little purple fringing and some softness in the corners.

The S7000 and 750Z are similar cameras. The S7000 is faster but I personally would prefer the 750Z because of the articulated LCD and stronger flash. It also has less red eye. But if you don't regularly use continuous focus with pre-focus the 750Z is pretty slow. Both have excellent movie modes.

I personally think the P200 is the pick of the litter. It has enough manual controls to get by and is quite small compared to the P700. The flash is far enough away there is no red eye. It is fast and everything seems to work well. I would like to standardize on SD for my small equipment or I would probably have bought one. But Memory Stick Pro isn't that much pricier than SD and no hassle if you don't have other SD devices.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote