Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 20, 2005, 12:00 AM   #1

Ok here the situation. This will be our first Digital camera. We laready own a 35mm canon z155. Now we were looking at a couple of model. The nikon 4800, the olympus c-765uz or the sony dsc-w5 ( i know is not a ulrta zoom but still wondering if we need it, we like a good zoom but is it worth it). We usually buy canon but the A serie doesnt come with a battery charger. So ifyou have any comment or suggestion you are more than welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Bizzaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 3:17 AM   #2

the olympus c-765 is a great camera, but i think you should investigate the Fuji S3500 and S5500. ive had plenty of time using them and they are simply fantatic cameras.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:33 AM   #3

I second that for the Fugi 5100/5500, a good long zoomall-arounder, better then most in it's class, atindoor pics, & video, (helped bythe built inAutofocus assist light), as well as great outside pics, & video. Plus it is faster operating all around also.
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:21 AM   #4

Don't try to compare apples to oranges...select a set of features that you want on a camera, then select only models which have all of those features to compare. You seem to want a megazoom, so cross the Sony off your list and, you might as well eliminate the Nikon, since the max zoom is only 300 mm (as opposed to 380 on the Oly). Now you're down to only one camera - you need a couple more.

Let's add the Fuji S5100 (4 MP, 10x zoom, AF assist lamp), and the Panasonic DMC-FZ15 (4 MP, 12x zoom, IS).

Now, compare reviews, look at sample photos taken with each, then go buy the one you want.

My choice? The Fuji S5100. I felt it offered the most for the dollars, and had all the features I had to have in my camera - 4 MP, 10x zoom, AF assist lamp, great picture quality, good video quality, and the ability to use rechargeable NiMH batteries (plus it fit my hand perfectly). I'm very happy with it.

Good luck.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote