Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:18 AM   #1

I apologize as this may be a little lengthy, but I would love a few comments. I currently own a Nikon N70 (35mm) with a Tamron 28mm-80mm lens (no other components such as external flash or other lenses) and a Canon A80. I would like to remain in the digital world, but would like to upgrade from my A80.

My goal is to increase my picture quality (meaning sharpness, color rendition etc.) I want the ability to attach an external flash via a hot shoe, and more zoom power. My main subjects are my kids and family, vacation shots (landscape), and occasional wildlife such as birds, but not too often.

Should I go to maybe the new D50 that will be coming out shortly, or something like the KM A200? I really don't feel I need the 8mp, but I love the manual zoom control and tele. What's everyone's opinion on the cost to benefit of going with the DSLR? I have been over-researching this for some time now and just want to come to a decision. What about the Panasonic FZ20?

Thanks in advance!!:G

105sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2005, 11:20 AM   #2

It's really apples and oranges. A DSLR will be a lot more similar in performance to your film camera. The A200 appears to be a very good camera but it will have more noise at higher speeds tha a DSLR and the response is slower. Although it looks as though it has through the lens viewing what it has is an LCD in the viewfinder so again a delay in what you see and what you shoot.

So highest quality and speed of response goes to the DSLR. Also you get a wide range of lenses to choose from.

Cost and convienience go to the A200. The 28-200 lens covers a good range so do you need more.

I have a DSLR and a small compact digicam. I'm more likely to have the compact digicam with me as it's small and light. When I want the quality and take my big bulky DSLR.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 11:53 AM   #3

Thanks Nagasaki, I know you can't really compare...just one of those things I will have to decide on. I agree with the bulkiness...I used to hate lugging around my N70 on family outings and the like.

Thanks for you input!
105sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 8:53 AM   #4

If your in the market for a digital SLR why don't you have a look at some of the links that compares diffrerent SLR. Its at a site called www.infodigitalcamera.com

They also have an article about moving up to a digital SLR camera.

waheguru is offline   Reply With Quote