Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2005, 1:39 PM   #1

I'm just about to purchase a C5500 and came across this statement at

which states:

".... Resolution / Sharpness (3.16)
The Olympus C-5500 advertises 5.3 total and 5.1 effective megapixels on its 1/1.8-inch CCD, coupled with a TruePic Turbo Image Processor. To test a camera's resolution, we take several images of an industry standard resolution chart and analyze them in Imatest Imaging Software. Most digital cameras don't reach their advertised megapixel counts. In fact, when a camera comes within 70 percent, it is considered "good." When it comes within 80 percent, it is designated as "very good." Above 90 percent is "excellent." Unfortunately, the Olympus C-5500 recorded only 3.16 of the advertised 5.1 effective megapixels, giving it a below-average percentage of 63 percent. While this will not have a dramatic effect on small 4 x 6 prints, even casual consumers will notice the difference when images are cropped and enlarged. ..."

I know from reading this forum that there are a number of prople that are very pleased with this camera. My question is: has anyoneseen degraded quality when printing larger, cropped images that would not be expected from a 5.1MP camera?The above review would seem to indicate resultsfrom the C5500 would be equal to a 3.16MP?It makes me think that moving from a 2.1MP to the C5500, if it really is an effective 3.16MP, may not be such a great idea. I'm confused. If anyone could shed any light on this it will be most appreciated.
JohnO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2005, 2:20 PM   #2

I saw that, too--just as I was about to order the C-5500. It concerned me, as I have a 3.2 MP C-730, and although the C-5500 was intended as a second camera I would like to be able to make larger prints if I want to. I posted aboutthe issueon an Olympus board. No one reported any problems, and I was advised to read other reviews, which I did (including the one on this site). I ended up ordering the camera (from Electric Sam), and expect to be very happy with it. Good luck!

Alisande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:21 PM   #3

Hi John01: That reviewer probably had a little too much to drink, or some uncalibrated equipment.

The C-5500 has the same sensor thatis used in the C-5060, and the picture quality of that camera is outstanding, even on blow-ups. You also get the same lens as used in the C-7000. The C-5500 is a great little camera which grows on its owners the more they use it. You will like your images.

Steven R.
Steven R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 6:50 AM   #4

Steven R, Thanks so much for your reply. I'll just consider that review as bogus and make my purchase as planned.
JohnO1 is offline   Reply With Quote