Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2005, 6:35 PM   #1

Compared to the Canon SD500, would you say the SONY P200 has more saturation and contrast, or less?If you wanted to try toduplicate the Canon's colorwith the P200 could youdo it bysettingthe saturation and contrast on the P200 + or - ?
lcmb11444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2005, 7:50 PM   #2

Canon = vivid

Sony= overprocessed

Copy Canon = I don't think so
Ixus 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:39 AM   #3

My advice is to buy the SD500 instead of trying to turn the P200 into its clone. Personally, I don't see where one camera totally excels over the other in image quality. If you prefer the SD500's image over the P200, and its additional $100-$150 cost isn't a deterrent, then why not get what you like better?
PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:06 PM   #4

The colors are a little less saturated on the Sony. At one time people described their colors as "Disnified", but they have toned them down in the past couple of years. You could probably crank up the saturation if you prefer that effect. Maybe someone on the Sony forums could post some photos taken with the saturation boosted.

I personally think the Sony colors are more realistic at the default settings, but everyone has their preferences and you should get what pleases you.

I always shoot with minimum contrast and sharpening because it increases the dynamic range and reduces artifacts. But you have to post process to get them looking good. I don't think saturation affects your ability to post process that much and it doesn't hurt to boost it if that pleases you. But I would recommend against getting a camera that requires you to boost the contrast and sharpening to get good images. There is the complication of some cameras sharpening more or using more contrast at the default setting, but that is really hard to sort out.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote