Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:58 PM   #1

Right now i have only a black and white printer, and a 1.2 mp no zoom camera. I want to get a new printer and camera. There is no point in getting a camera that can produce better quality photos that the printer can print and vica-versa. I am not sure exactly what i want to get. The printer i want needs only to print, and can be big. The camera needs only take pictures, and have decent zoom. I do not care for sound or movies, though i would appreciate not having to wait for over 5 seconds after each picture. I do not mind it being bulky for better picture quality. Zoom does not need to be massive, but would be nice plus. Budget is not decided, though i am hoping not to go over £300. So far i am thinking of getting this printer and camera, though really i am not sure what i should be looking for etc. Do not forget that i will also have to get a memory stick so i am streaching my budget already.

Printer: Canon IP4000 Colour Bubble Jet Printer

Camera: Canon Powershot A95 5mp Digital Camera
Sink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 4:06 PM   #2

The iP4000 is a decent printer. I have one and the photos are quite good. It is hard to tell the difference between photos from the iP4000 and my old Canon S9000 with 6 colors.

The A95 is a very nice camera for the price if you don't need something to drop in your pocket. Make sure to budget for a charger and NiMH batteries. I think Wal Mart has a charger and 4 batteries for less than $20. They are 1800 mAh batteries. Dave at Imaging Resource did his tests on the A95 using 1600 mAh batteries and found the battery life excellent. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A95/A95DATA.HTM

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 2:48 AM   #3

EDIT: Change of plan. What do you think would be better?

1. A95 + ip4000

2. Casio Exilim Pro Ex-P600 6mp Digital Camera

and a cheapo £50 printer, get the prints developed at a shop.

Sink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:30 PM   #4

Just a quick note:
Dave, who runs imaging-resouces website uses the Ip5000 to evaluate the print quality of cameras, so he, at least, feels that this printer will show up any flaws in the output of cameras. I have it and cannot detect any 'dots' with a strong magnifying glass.

I'm using it as my main printer, and the Ip4000 may even be faster for regular printing. The duplexer works great even with 60# paper. And the cost per page is about the same or less than an inexpensive laser (~$0.02/per page BW). Both the IP4000 and IP5000 have very low running costs compared to cheaper printers because the tanks are all you replace and they don't have any thing that keeps other companies form making subsitutes so canon has to keep the price reasonable. I'd keep this im mind before I'd go with a 'cheaper' printer (e.g., the lexmark) which would quickly become more expensive because of supply costs.

wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote