Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2005, 2:30 PM   #1

I am looking for a small portable camera that takes pictures with good macro. I am going to be starting a residency in dermatology and am looking to buy a camera that I would like to carry around with me that could take pictures of skin lesions. I know that larger cameras offer better macro, but I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations on a small portable camera that offers good macro. Any recommendations on camera, amt megapixels that I should get would be much appreciated. I have looked at the nikon S1 and the canon SD400 but have been unable to make up my mind. Many thanks in advance.
diginoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:41 PM   #2

I've never heard that the SD series were good at macro, but I've often heard (ok, read) that the Nikon line as a whole is generally accepted to be better at macro than most. You might begin your search by looking at the Nikon 3200. It is cheap, does very good macro, and is small enough to carry around in your lab coat pocket (unless you're carrying a copy of Fitzpatrick around...).

I've yet to see a comprehensive review of the new S1, but if it's macro is as good as the rest of the Nikon line, then it would be a nice one to carry around, as long as you don't mind paying twice as much as you would for a 3200.

I have read a review that states the Minolta X50 is an excellent macro shooter. You should read the comments about this at the Imaging Resource website. This is probably the way I would go, if I wanted a pocketable macro shooter.

As for the amount of megapixels - it depends on what you want to do with your images. Since you decided not to tell us how big a print you need to make (if at all), then it would be impossible to tell you how many mp's you need.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote