Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2005, 3:40 PM   #1

Thinking of the 1 of the following -

Fuji A340 4MP,3X zoom,with docking station,XD cards $150.

Cannon A400 3.2 mp,2.2x zoom,SD cards $140.

Fuji has 4MP,3X zoom and docking station but used more expensive XD cards.

Cannon is a nice camera but only has 3.2MP,2.2x zoom but uses cheaper SD card.

The main thing is I dont know anything about fujis.If anyone has either of these and would let me know what they think,I would be thankful.

Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 10:12 PM   #2

Fuji makes great cameras - I have two of them and they have performed admirably. Something that you might consider is flash range, since there is a chance that a young person will be taking lots of shots of friends and such when indoors. The flash range listed in the reviews is almost twice as great with the Fuji. On that basis alone I would pick it over the Canon. IMO the difference of 0.8x/mp is not important enough to sway the decision....

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 10:34 AM   #3

Here are some alternates to consider:

Check out the Canon A510, and the HP Photosmart M407.. Both these use AA batteries and cheap SD cards and sell for about $170 and $140 respectively.

Other options are Fuji FinePix E510, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S40 although these also use AA batteries.. they use expensive propriety memory cards..

Note that only the Canon has a focus Assist lamp which helps you indoors and in low light..
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 3:30 PM   #4

The Fuji E500 is a little cheaper than the E510, sacrificing a MP and a fewother features. The E500 or E510 would be better over the A340 if he plans on adjusting shutter speed, apature, etc. If he is just looking for point and shoot, the A340 is probably the easiest, though it does take very nice pictures. I own a Fuji E550 and love, as well as the older 2650, and it has held up very nicely. The A340 has the annoying sliding lens cover that my 2650 has, while the E series has the nicer auto lens cover. The higher flash also reduces red eye a little bit, esspecially at close range where most point and shoot cameras would produce red eye. Buydig.com is a great place to get a Fuji camera and XD chip cheap, and it is retail.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote