Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2005, 6:32 PM   #1

Looking for A new camera, i have out grown my own one as i get better

I would like it to have at least 4 mp

at least 10 optical zoom

perferably a image stablalizer but not a must

a very nice action mode

I will be using it to mainly photograph horses and model horses. So it also must take good very very close up photos. Please nonthing over $600. Thanks )

xsongax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 7:58 PM   #2

The only 4mp+ megazooms with IS are the ones from Panasonic and Minolta (unless you can find a Nikon 8800 for under $600). Go to the "buyers guide" section and use it to find these models. Any of these will photograph horses, and do macro shots.

There are a few new models from Canon and Sony that have been announced and that might fit your requirements, but I'm not sure if they have hit the showrooms.

If you are going to be shooting actions shots of moving horses, then you will most likely not need IS. If your shutter speeds are high enough to capture moving horses, then it will also be high enough to cancel out handheld movement of the camera itself. If you eliminate the IS requirement, then you will open up a great number of additional possibilities. Again, use the buyer's guide to see these.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 8:28 AM   #3

I highly recommend the panasonic FZ20. 5MP, 12X optical, 2 IS modes, great picture quality, amazing build and features in the camera. Its a P&S for beginners and its a fully manual camera for those who can learn and want to grow with it.

indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote