Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 6, 2005, 7:27 AM   #1

I find it hard to decide between,
Canon A510,Canon A75,Olympus d540 and Pentax Optio 30.All of them are on Steve's best 3mp cameras and i am quite confused:roll:
Ayrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2005, 10:04 AM   #2

hi ayrton.

as long as you're considering those 3 top-notch brands, I think you should base your decision on features. my brother has a canon a75, and I have an olympus d-550 which seems to be similar to the 540, and I can tell they're both great as far as image quality is concerned. and pentax is hors-concours as far as I know.

both canons have 15s exposure, which I find interesting if you're willing to try your hand at night shots. they also have apperture and shutter priority, while the other two don't, so that's also a plus if you want more than just point and shoot. the a510 has the widest zoom range - from 35 to 140mm - vs 35-105 and 38-114.

but it all comes down to what type of camera you're looking for. I hope this link here helps:

other than that... good luck!

edit: I don't want to confuse you even more, but at that price range, you might wanna consider 4mp too. take a look at sony cybershot dsc-s40 and similar models.
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 10:06 AM   #3

I am in the same situation as you are. I previously bought a Sony W5 and found it very disappointing, blurry, inability to take indoor photos, etc. so I returned it. Then I found Steve's Best Digicams like you did. What I found very useful in trying to decide between them was to go to his last area under each review and look at the sample photos. I took the one with the surfboards and opened it with each camera and then reduced it down into the taskbar. Then I compared them one by one, right after each other. A pain but interesting. I liked the Canon a510 for clarity and color so I ordered one and am hoping it's good. But as everyone likes something a little different in a picture, I found the comparisonsvery useful. Hope it helps.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote