Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2005, 8:51 PM   #1

the spec's I see online don't seem to mention how long it takes cameras to "reset" after a pic. My sister in law has a nikon a couple years old and after you take a pic, the camera just has a black screen for about 20 seconds. She misses alot of shots because of this and is looking for a camera with less downtime between shots. The people at the shops keep talking about shutter speed when I ask about this, which is not what I am talking about. Is there a term for this "reset" speed so I can find out more info on it? and does anyone know which cameras/brands reset quick?
funktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2005, 9:48 PM   #2

I think you're referring to a camera's cycle time. Here are a couple of links to compare:

Some cameras have buffers which need to be cleared after a few shots...this may take a long time. I don't believe I've heard of any camera having a cycle time of 20 seconds, but if I had one, I don't think I would use it much.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 9:54 PM   #3

If you read some of the reviews here, you will see "shot to shot" times, which is how long it takes for the camera to be ready to take another shot. For instance, I just read the review for the Canon A95, and it lists a s2s time of 1.6 sec. w/o flash. Many cameras will also have a burst mode as well, for instance the A95 captured 12 frames in 5.3 seconds.

It would be impossible for someone to know all of the times for all of the cameras. You can however find the times yourself, by reading the reviews for any particular camera you might be interested in....

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote