Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2005, 4:57 AM   #1

I'm looking to get myself a Caplio, but which one? There doesn't seem to be much difference price-wise between these.

I thought the R2 would be the next version of the R1, but from some sites I have seen it says its the newer version of the R1v - a bit confusing if you ask me!

Can anyone offer any advice as to which would be the better option?

Would anyone care to share their experiences of using thes cameras?

any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

SunshineSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2005, 7:03 AM   #2

I looked at the R1V as an alternative to the Caplio GX - longer zoom but fewer "clever" features on the R1V although it's much smaller.

I bought the Rollei badged GX (the DR5100) and am delighted. Given the general Ricoh world view I would expect the following characteristics.

Rapid start up and minimal shutter lag but slow shot to shot times (write to card and flash recharge). Good sharpness and colour but noisier than other cameras for any given sensitivity (but at least the high ISOs are available). Although many reviews moan about purple fringing, I have not found it to any degree that wasn't either present in other cameras I have used or curable in PSP9 which has a specific Chromatic aberation filter.

AFAIK the R1V is slightly more modern than the R1 but similarly specced, and the R2 is the same thing with a massive LCD but no viewfinder. IMHO the viewfinder on the R1V is too small for a left eyed viewer (me) which is one reaon why I went for the GX/DR5100

hope this helps

Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote