Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2005, 2:37 PM   #1

I think I've really narrowed it down this time. Does anyone have any suggestion between the three - A520 or SD300?
Which takes the best pictures, or should take the best pictures? I was also wondering if there is a big difference between the A520 and A510 and the SD300 and SD400.

Thanks for any help anyone could give me on these cameras. I've flip-flopped back and forth so many times now, who knows whether I'll ever make my mind up.
DSWInUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2005, 8:37 PM   #2

This reply might be too late for you but may be useful for others that have the same choice to make.

I alsoflip flopped between theCanon A520 and SD300.In the end, I chose the SD300 because it's pockatibility and speed outweighed the benefits of the A520.

The image quality of the A520 is slightly better in the cornersbecause the SD300 (and all pocket-sized cameras) tend to blur the cornersundercertain conditions.To see this blurring, check out these two images:

Compare the upper left corners at full size:
SD300: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SD300/FULLRES/SD3HOUSEWBA.HTM
A520: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A520/FULLRES/A52HOUSEWBA.HTM
However, when I printed the two images (4x6 size at Target), the difference was barely noticeable. Plus, at 4MP, it's easy to crop the corners out if necessary.

Here is what I liked about the A520:
1. Clear corners (versus some blur in SD300)
2. 4x optical zoom (versus 3x in SD300)
3. 300 shots on fully charged NiMH batteries (versus 140 shots in SD300)
4. LCD is protected by a sturdy plastic cover
5. Better grip

Here is what I liked about the SD300:
1. Pocketability
2. Movie recording at 640x480 limited only by memory (versus 30 sec at a timein A520)
3. Faster operation (A520 takes 5-10 seconds between shots, esp w/ flash on)

Both cameras are good so either one will be an excellent choice but I preferred the pocketability and speed of the SD300 over the 4x zoom and battery life of the A520.

In either case, plan on spending another $80-$100 for memory card (256MB), battery (spare batt for SD300 or rechargeable w/ charger for A520) and a case. FYI- if you're worried about protecting the LCD on the SD300, you can buy a hard or soft screen prtoector for about $8.

Hope this helps.

pavanpdesai is offline   Reply With Quote