Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2005, 8:53 PM   #1

Hi all,
I have been looking for a digital for a little while, and can probably go between 300-400 in price.. Probably at least 4MP, and would like the 10x optical. My question would be:

1) How important really is the image stabilization? (Seems to be fairly important)

2) Has anyone had good luck with their cameras that fit into this range?

The majority of the time, the pictures would be around the home, at the park, etc as we are expecting a new addition to the home soon (and at the rate we will probably be taking pictures, I can't afford the film costs!!!) :-)

BTW, I have been looking at cameras like the Kodak DX6490, etc and am just not to sure where to go from here. And movie capability is somewhat of a must as well. Any thoughts or suggestions would be a great help!
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2005, 9:18 PM   #2

I have a Fuji S5100, and have had good luck with it. It seems to fit your criteria, having;

4 MP
10X zoom (37-370 mm)
AF assist lamp for low light focusing
Very good video (640 x 480 @ 30 FPS) with sound, however, you can't zoom while filming.
Excellent battery life (four AA NiMH)
Price with rebate, less than $250 - keep in mind you'll need to purchase batteries and charger, additional memory card(s), and a case, but you can still stay within your price range.

There's a running debate on this forum regarding the virtue of IS. I've never had it on any camera I've owned, and I personally don't feel the need for it.

Good luck.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 9:59 PM   #3

Hi Morph: I agree with the Hun, the Fuji S5100 is a good handling camera that fits your specs, and with the $50 rebate, can be bought for under $300.Hard to go wrongwith that.

Also, another excellent choice would be either the Olympus C765 or C770.The Fuji and Olympuscameras are 4MP and 10x zooms, and takesuper photos.

Good luck in your camera search.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 10:43 PM   #4

Get a Minolta dimage z-2. Has everything they said and more too. IS only crucial on high end 300mm and longer, but if usig tripod not a big deal. However the dimage z-3 does have it and even has 12x zoom
Attached Images
BionicJcs is offline   Reply With Quote