Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 12, 2005, 4:47 AM   #1

I want an SLR style camera with an ultra-zoom. I keep flip-flopping back and forth from the different models available. One key factor that keeps me going back and forth is the IS. First I lean toward the Pany FZ5, then after reading forums I'm confused whether to go to the Pany FZ15. Then I think no, I'll go toward the Kodaks - either the Z740 or the DX7590. No IS but they both get pretty good reviews. Then I think I'll step back a few years and get the Oly C-765 or 770 or even the Canon I2 IS thinking I'll spend less money now and wait for Fuji's new model or Sony's H1 to come out. Anyway, as you can see I'm about to go nuts and I neet to decide soon as I am going to China next weekend. Want the camera for the trip but also for family shots including kids sporting events both outdoors and in gym settings. Again - help me ease my mind and make up my mind.
lrwascom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2005, 9:11 PM   #2

Been there, done that. The only way you will ever rest is to eliminate all but one camera. Write down a list of 'must have' features. Eliminate all cameras that do not meet that criteria. Then, look at pictures taken with the remaining cameras...be critical - eliminate those which have problems. Then go to a store which has all of the remaining models, and pick the one that feels best in your hand...buy it.

I think there are more important features than IS. Some will disagree. IS doesn't make every picture good. A poor lens and/or sensor can make every picture bad.

Think about:

Camera resolution
Picture quality
Cycle time
Zoom power
Battery type
AF assist lamp
Movie resolution

Good luck.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 10:55 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. That definitely sounds like a good plan. I have compared them so much that my mind is boggled so writing a list of "must haves" and then seeing which one best fits those requirements sounds like a plan. I'll work on that right now!

lrwascom is offline   Reply With Quote