Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 12, 2005, 10:25 AM   #1

I am interested in purchasing the Coolpix 5900. So, I looked up reviews, but most of the views refer to imagesoftness and express the need for processing outside the camera in order to get good results. Consequently, I am a little concerned about making the purchase. Does anyone have any experience or advice?
randyk@astate.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2005, 11:24 AM   #2

I couldn't find any reviews on the 5900...could you paste a few links?

Since you are interested in the 5900, I assume you are planning on purchasing a compact digicam. Take a look at the new Fuji F10..I didn't see anything soft about pics taken with that camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 12:09 PM   #3

I've looked up a few reviews on that one myself, and I can say if there's any softness in its images, then any other camera will. it comes with one of the best lenses in its segment.

my only complaint about 5900 it the lack of manual control over shutter and aperture. other than that, it's terrific.
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 9:14 PM   #4

The Fuji F10 uses a really dumb adaptor to connect to USB or to charge the batteries. You are in trouble if that adaptor gets lost.

The Hog
Queeniethehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 8:36 AM   #5

I recently purchased (and returned) the Nikon 5900. The images were indeed "soft" even with sharpness set to "+" . But a bigger problem was it's Auto White Balance (you can set it manually but I want/need great AUTO shots). I took indoor shots of my family and they had a green, sickly cast to them. My Sony P150 took beautiful portraits in the same setting. I was very excited about the new Nikon cameras. On paper, it seemed like NIKON finally had a digicam that not only had the best lens BUT speed, great video, etc. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed in the all-important area of image quality. I even took a bunch of pictures with the Nikon, Sony, and a Kodak LS753. I had my friend (who has a good eye) pick out the "best" and "worst" of the bunch (they were all mixed together). ALL of the "best" ones were from the Sony P150 and all of the "worst" ones were from the Nikon 5900 ! I wish I could be more positive as again, it "should" have been a Big Winner for Nikon but I personally did not have a good experience with it. Finally, it's interesting to note that Nikon reduced their prices on the 5600/5900/7600/7900 by $50. Obviously, sales for their new cameras has not been as brisk as initially anticipated.
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote