Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 12, 2005, 3:35 PM   #1

I am planning to visit Egypt later this year and want to take some photos in the Valley of the Kings.

As they don't allow flash in any of the tombs I will be visiting I would like some recommendations as to what still camera would be best for taking photos in low (very low?) light conditions without flash.

Ideally I would prefer a compact camera but that isn't essential and capability is more important than price
davequa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2005, 3:42 PM   #2

You need a DSLR (digital SLR) if you want any decent low light pics. These cost quite a bit (around $1000) and if you can afford it a low-end DSLR like the Canon 350D should be considered...

Basically you need a camera that can take high ISO pics.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 5:47 PM   #3

If a dslr is out of the question (size, cost issues, etc), then you can consider the next best thing, which is buying a camera with a fast lens, or a point&shoot with high ISO.

The Canon G6 is a great camera with a fast f/2.0 lens. If your hand is fairly steady, you will be able to get some good shots. Just remember to adjust white balance. You might also consider using a monopod/walking stick to help steady the longer exposures.

You can also look at the Fuji F-10, which is a small camera with ISO that goes up to 1600. It will allow you to take pics that are one or two shutter speeds higher than the G6, but the picture quality won't be as good.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote