Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 17, 2005, 3:06 PM   #1

I recently posted a message seeking info about the Fuji S5500 and Macro Photography. Unfortunately, todate I have received no answer to my query. Am I therefore looking at the wrong digicam? and that the S5500 is not what it is said to be.

I would welcome an answer please.Should I be looking at another camera?

High Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 4:00 PM   #2

Didn't notice your first post - just read it now. I would guess that the reason you didn't get any responses to your first post was because most people don't select a megazoom camera for macro photography. Also, it might have helped if you had posted in the Fuji forum.

I have a Fuji S5100 (same camera), and I haven't really done much macro work, other than snap a few shots to see how it works. My main passion is outdoors photography...sports, wildlife, scenery, etc. To answer your questions, macro will work in auto mode. If I were to buy a camera strictly for macro work, I don't think I would have selected the S5100. According to some reviews I've read, the pictures tend to be noisy in macro and low light settings. I haven't used it enough in macro mode to judge, although, I believe it will work fine as long as the lighting is sufficient. I guess it depends on what type of macro you plan on doing...taking pics of insects outside on a sunny day, or extreme closeups (with natural room lighting)of fine jewlery to sell on ebay.

The S5100 is a great camera for the money - probably more value than any I've seen, but it might not be for you.

I've included one of my early test shots using macro.

Good luck.

the Hun

Attached Images
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 2:00 PM   #3

and many thanks for coming back to me. You answered my query to my satisfaction. The example photograph you sent was upto the standard I require. I already use a Digital video camera for some of my hobby, but a still camera would also be very useful at times. The camera would normally be used for general photography much the same as yourself. However, there are ocassions when a still photograph would be acceptable.

What started as an interest a couple of years ago has grown into a summer outdoor hobby. Quite by accident I found a Bumble Bee nest in my garden and have taken to studying them ever since. I have marked some of them and see them regularly in my garden.

Once again many thanks for your help and advice.

High Noon is offline   Reply With Quote