Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2005, 6:26 AM   #1

I need to buy a camera for my parents! they are not really very technically minded and do tend to struggle with small stuff so ultra compact isn't an option. They tend to go for taking pics of friends and family or landscapes and general outdoor shots. I would say they need 4 mp max and 3 x zoom (similar to their current film camera). Ease of use is the main point with preferably a largeish screen for my short sighted dad!! in terms of cash i would say up to £200 or $360 preferably with a rechargable battery too! any ideas?

any help would be really appreciated!

profesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2005, 7:58 AM   #2

You can get some good deals on Kodak cameras that meet your requirements. I think you can buy the CX 7430 or 7530 at decent prices. I got the latter for my parents. Some people really don't like Kodaks, but non technically minded photographers, they are quite suitable, I think.

Go here for a glimpse of current price ranges for Kodak cameras on Steve's buyers' guide.

These are US prices. I imagine UK prices are higher.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 8:00 AM   #3

There are quite a few cameras out there that would work for your situation -- one place to start would be to look at the Fuji E500/510. These are fairly inexpensive (the 500 is around $169 here) cameras that are compact, but not too small, and are one of the few in this price range that have a wide-angle lens, which is good for landscapes. These have a 2" screen, and have manual exposure controls, which comes in handy should they ever decide to learn how to use them. They use AA's, so buying an extra set or two of rechargeables would be quite easy.

If you want a mid-sized camera with lots of zoom, the Kodak 6490 has a 2.2" screen, and a 10x zoom.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote