Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 19, 2005, 8:26 AM   #1

Hi everyone - hoping someone can help me here! My husband has had an Olympus 2020 for a LONG time now and we've been very happy with it. He is a great photographer who due to a new baby has not had much time to pursue that hobby apart from taking pictures of said child

In any event, I'm getting him a new digital camera for Father's Day and want to know what you guys think is better - the Olympus 7000 (or 7070) or the Canon Powershot g6. Both look good to me, but we've had such great luck with the Olympus that I'm hesitant to jump to Canon.

ANY advice would be appreciated. Thanks very much!

Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2005, 6:08 PM   #2

Hi Molly: Over the years I have owned and used various brands of digicams, but I always keep coming back to Olympus. Lots of good choices in the Olympus lineup.

You didn't list a price range, but look at the C8080 (my favorite, agreat camera); the C7070, the C7000, the C5500, and the C60. Go to the following link and compare: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/

Good luck. I'm sure your husband will love his new camera.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 11:33 PM   #3

Thanks very much The link you provided was great - just what I needed for comparison. I too really loved our Olympus (should be love, as it will turn into my camera once he gets the new one, lol!).

My price range was open, however I really hesitate to go over $600. I would for the "perfect" camera, but it would have to be heads and tails better than all the rest, kwim?

Thanks again!

Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 9:26 AM   #4

I was in the same dillema this past month. Couldn't decide between the G6 or the Olympus 7070/8080. I finally went with the G6 only because I've read complaints about the Olympus' performance indoors. My main photography subjects are my two kids, so I needed something that would perform well inside. The G6 won in that category for me. Plus, the photos from the G6 are just stunning!

The G6 is being delivered today, I'll let you know what I think once I've played a bit!
TraceyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 7:38 PM   #5

I love the Olympus C-7000 - great photos, large LCD, and tons of features, including manual controls. I picked one up for $365 on eBay brand new in the box. You can get a deal if you look around on the net. All the best. :|
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 7:47 PM   #6
Super Moderator

since your husband is a good photographer and may have some interests in continueing this hobby once some little free time arises, i may suggest the canon g6.. it would allow him more options with accessories.. such as the EOS based accessories such as a nice external flash, which would add alot of flexibility for bounce flash etc, nice for indoor pics of baby.. these components he could then take with him over to a dslr if he ever gets into it that much.. i also like the slr type layout and feel of the g6.. it operates very similarly to my 20d dslr..

but when it comes down to it.. all of the cameras mentioned in this post are first-rate and will serve you quite well..

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 1:21 PM   #7

Would your husband want a built in wide angle lens? If so, the G6 doesn't have it, but the 7070 and 8080 do.

I'm looking for similar things in my next camera, but a wide angle lens is at the top of my list, so I'm strongly considering the 7070/8080.
d48 is offline   Reply With Quote