Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 21, 2005, 4:48 PM   #21

"if you read the review carefully, you will see that the 550 does in fact have the usual softness/artifacts associated with interpolation. ""

only in 12 mp mode, and you cant use the digi zoom in that mode. The 6 mp is often considered very sharp in all the reviews. You get 5.6x at 6 MP, 8x @ 3MP, and 10x at 2 MP.

"and the non-interpolated images suffer from compression problems.. so its not perfect... its good yes.. but no cropped version of a interpolated image, i.e. digital zoom image, will compete with an optical zoom of the same relative composition.. "

In noise, the e550 blows away the superzooms so the pictures are cleaner. True, the compression is higher than normal. Read the review at dpreview.com

As Steve claims, the e550 uses a digital zoom that does not reduce image quality, and he recommends using it. That's about as plain as it gets.

""while the digital zoom may be useable, it is still not ideal, as an optical zoom is.. i am not at all saying the camera is not a great camera, because it is.. i am just saying it is just not a substitute for a longer zoom for shooting wildlife pictures, etc... is it better for landscapes, scenics? probably.. ""

I agree the e550's zoom is not as ideal as an optical zoom. But if you need a a quality shot at 8x oir 10x, you CAN get it.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote