Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 20, 2005, 8:22 AM   #1

Just when I thought I had decided on a camera, I second guessed myself. After much research and looking through reviews and opinions here and elsewhere I thought I finally decided on the Sony W7. Then when I went to Ritz to get additional opinions, I told the salesperson what I was looking for in a camera, and he suggested a DSLR (I know he's just trying to get my money). Anyways, now I've second guessed myself and can't decide.

My needs are...

Great Low Light quality

Small shot to shot delay

Small flash recharge delay

At least 5mp since I do crop

Great picture quality/low noise

Manual and Auto Controls

I realize that a DSLR would be a great option for my needs, however I have a toddler. So first off all my pictures are of him and usually are quick spur of the momment type pictures. Although, I do take posed shots with him and backgrounds about once a month or so. And second when we go somewhere I'm already carrying alot. That's why the thought of a nice compact was on my mind. However, I don't want to have to buy another camera for 4-5 years, so I'm definately looking for something that I can grow at least some with. (and maybeadd a lense or filter)

Is there anything in between a compact and a DSLR that would fit my needs. In the beginning of this search I had a budget of about $500, now I'm just trying to find the best camera for my needs. I've read good things about the Sony V3, but that seems to be discontinued and not available where I would purchase the camera. (Either Ritz or Best Buy).

Thank you for your help.
snowflake12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2005, 8:53 AM   #2

Your requirements will most served by the purchase of a DSLR. I have the Canon 20D and my son has the Digital Rebel. The real cost of the DSLR camera is the lens that you will want to purchase. I recommend that you read the Canon lens section for some lens ideas.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 2:16 PM   #3

I debated between high end cam and DSLR for a year. The benefits of the delay were more features at lower price, the downside was that I was missing great photo opps every day. I finally had a deadline for my decision - a trip to Europe. I am glad something forced the decision, for, as while time went by, the decision kept getting more complicated with new models, etc.

I went with a DSLR for a couple of reasons. Better image quality, viewfinder, much better low light capability, faster, etc. When I went back and looked at the photos I had taken over the past 30 years. Those taken with a SLR were clearly and consistently superior to those taken with a rangefinder camera.

I chose the istDS, based primarily on feel. I wanted a smaller size, but solid feeling, responsive camera. The other camera I liked was the Canon 20D, but it was a little larger than I wanted, although more responsive than the Pentax. The other decision factors were SD card, AA batteries and kit lens.

The difference in price did not drive the decision. If you look at the cost of photography over a 5 yr span, the few hundred dollars difference up front for the body is not a significant driver.

I would recommend a DSLR, and suggest you pick from any of the highly rated models based on feel and responsiveness. They all will give you great pictures and have lots of lens options - which if you go down that route, will be your primary cost driver. If you stick with a kit lens, or a single zoom, the cost of a DSLR will not be much more than a high end cam.

You can analyze this forever, and never get the "best" answer. Even though I like the istDS a lot more than the Digital Rebel, I would have been better off buying the Digital Rebel or Nikon D70 a year ago (or the Minolta A2 which was my alternate) and having had 2000 additional high quality photos.

wwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 6:05 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i agree.. for the needs you have listed above, you will be best served with a DSLR.. i totally agree with jones in that you need to find the one that best fits for you.. right now you are not going to get a dslr for the price you have budgetted, so it may either mean compromising or waiting and saving up for a dslr.. i would also have to warn you that the learning curve for a dslr is much steeper than a p&s.. pictures just dont come out of a dslr looking perfect.. you need to have some knowledge of depth of field and post-processing (photoshopping)... but if you take the time to learn how to use these tools, you will be rewarded with superior pictures and loads of fun..

g'luck, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 5:42 PM   #5

The title of this thread made me laugh. I felt (feel) the same way.

"Itold the salesperson what I was looking for in a camera, and he suggested a DSLR (I know he's just trying to get my money)."

Isuppose there's truth in that, but it may also be that he was really trying to help. I was looking at the SonyDSC-F828 (which looks to be a great camera), buta salesman said "If you're willing to spend that much money,whydon't you look at the DSLRs?" He was right. I decided to buy a less expensive (but still not cheap) p&s for now, and will "graduate" to the DSLRs when I know more what I'm doing.

Good luck deciding,

Larry in NYC

citymars is offline   Reply With Quote