Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which should I get?
*ist DS 3 23.08%
D50 1 7.69%
E-300 1 7.69%
XT 3 23.08%
D70/s 5 38.46%
E-1 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22, 2005, 5:15 PM   #1

I need some advice about DSLRs.

I just cannot decide which one to buy!

I have a budget of ~£600 - £650

I am torn between the E-300, *ist DS and the yet to be released D50. I'm not sure why but I really don't take to the Canon XT, not sure why.

This would be the first SLR camera I will have owned and I am looking forward to learning how to use one.

Below are the lowest prices I can find for these cameras:

E-300 - £510 incl. kit lens or £629 for the twin lens kit

*ist DS - £579 incl. kit lens and rebate

D50 - ~£579 incl. kit lens (rough estimate as it has yet to be released – some sites are taking pre-orders for around this price)

I already have two compact flash cards (128mb and 256mb Sandisk Ultras). This makes the E-300 tempting as it can use these cards whereas the other two use SD cards. So I could buy the E-300 and start shooting straight away (and invest in a larger card later) whereas for the other two I would need to spend £80 – £100 on top to buy a decent capacity/speed SD card, but then my laptop has a built in SD card slot (a minor thing but hey).

I cannot decide whether this is a good reason to go with the E-300 or not! I like the camera and the reviews of it seem reasonable, esp. for the price. The *ist DS looks the best IMHO and the D50 is a little bit of an unknown – I have read some previews and like what I hear but not sure about how it will perform.

I do tend to do a lot of available light shooting as I cannot stand the look of flash pictures and haven't go the inclination to invest in an external flash-gun (its also an additional cost). So good ISO performance would be good, which I know the E-300 has trouble with. I am assuming the D50 will be similar to the D70 in this respect, so quite good?

I have yet to go out and actually pick them up and handle them but I have looked at them a lot in store, but never had the time to actually go over them as it were. The *ist DS looks to have the best ergonomics – but again the D50 is an unknown in this respect as well.

I do have a slight brand loyalty to Pentax because of my Optio and I owned an APS Afina before that. BUT I have no existing lens collection so I am prepared to break off from Pentax if it means a better camera.

Dust worries me……. A lot. Should I be worried about it? I doubt I'll change lenses all that much as I can't really afford any!

Any advice? Thanks a lot in advance!

- I have added a poll just for interest (which includes a few other cameras as well)

Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2005, 5:30 PM   #2
Super Moderator

first off, i think any would serve you well..

but, since it seems like you are kind of down to deciding between the oly e300 and the pentax ds.. if i were choosing between the two, i would have a heavy preference for the pentax.. you have already used their products and are happy with the results.. plus it uses a standard aps sized sensor giving it a better ability to handle noise than the smaller 4/3 sensor of the oly e300.. i would be a little wary of jumping into the oly 4/3 system, as lenses are harder to come by, and just being that much different than the other major brands makes it kind of a fad, and would be more than a little scared of its long term viability.. (i also don't care for its sideways mirror, doesnt feel like an slr to me)..

enjoy, dustin

p.s. both of those cf cards are rather small, so investing in a larger one is almost necessary anyways, so i wouldnt let that be a factor.. plus, you can often find good deal on a camera/card combo at some stores i.e. www.bhphotovideo.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 2:13 AM   #3

Hi Catt! I'm almost in the same boat as you're in. I've been reading and going through a lot of forums for some time now and I've finally decided to go with the ist*Ds. My other choices were the Nikon D70 and the Digital Rebel. I know that each of these models have their own plus and minuses but like they say-it's the photographer that takes the picture and not the camera. My own reasons for choosing the Pentaxare:

1) SD cards

2) can run on AA batteries

3) Smallest (although the Rebel is not that bigger)

4) it's also assembled here (Philippines) so the after sales service should be better

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 10:11 AM   #4

Thanks forthe advice.

I am going to try and go out in the next few days to a camera shop and try them out.
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 2:49 PM   #5
Super Moderator

go ahead and try out all of the major brand camera's in your price range.. you really can't go wrong with any of them, so buy on which one feels right to you..

enjoy your shopping, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 6:48 PM   #6

I think the Canon Rebel XT is the best of the group.

It has a higher resolution (8 meg), very responsive and ultra clean at high ISO's.

It's really a next generation ahead of the other cameras, and probably the best buy right now.

The Evolt doesn't have a lot of lens selection. The Pentax also has fewer lenses. Niether of them have the picture quality of the Canon.

Looking in the long term, you want to buy lenses that could serve you well when you "trade up" some day.

To me, the only two long term viable companies are Nikon or Canon, so that leaves you the Canon Rebel XT or the Nikon D70.

The Canon Rebel XT is a better all-purpose camera with higher resolution than the D70, although the D70 is probably the better "sports" digicam if your into that sort of thing.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 11:56 AM   #7

Just so you are aware, Nikon has startedencrypting portions of the metadata related to White Balance in the RAW files from some of it's newer models (D2x, D2Hs).

As a result, some third party vendors are not going to support the "as shot" white balance in the .nef files (Nikon's raw format) from these models (including products from Adobe), without Nikon's permission. Apparently, they are concerned aboutthe potential legal implications of decrypting the information (under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act).

Some users have quoted Nikon regional distributors as informing them that Nikon will be encrypting the White Balance in .nef files from the new D50 also. Hopefully, Nikon will reverse this decision before the model starts shipping, due to the negative publicity over this tactic. But, AFAIK, they have not changed their minds.

See the information on the Petition to manufacturers onthe breaking news page, if you'd like to participate by letting the manufacturers know how you feel about them encrypting data.

JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 5:33 PM   #8

I think when you say "for some reason I don't like a camera", you should trust your gut. That opinion might change when you handle the camera, but since all the cameras on your list are good ones, you might as well narrow the field by using instinct, too!

The E1 has come down in price, which makes it appealing. The Olympus's also have the anti-dust technology. I don't know how well it works, but it's an appealing idea.

I won't vote, but I'll wish you good luck... :-)

Larry in NYC
citymars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 12:06 PM   #9

Looking at the D50 specs, it looks almost as good as the D70. 2" LCD as well and a decent price. I already have the D70 and I wouldn't hesitate to get a D50if I didn't already have the D70.
wingnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote