Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 25, 2005, 5:58 PM   #1

Has anyone out there compared the use of a fujifilm ultrazoom to the nikon 8800?

I have a fujifilm s5000. I love the zoom on it and want nothing less than 10x optical zoom.

I alsolike the image color and technology for what it is (3.1 megapix) but now want more print quality (at large sizes).

So... I would be thrilled to get an 8 megapix + 10x opt zoom option from fujiflm as I've totally bought into their imaging technology, but the option doesn't exist at the moment.

So what about the 8800? Will I be as happy with it? I tend to zoom in quite far and am mainly concernedwith doing that (usually in outdoor settings).

Sorry if this is a double post. I'm new at this.
niihaltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2005, 6:05 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the nikon 8800 is one of the best ultrazooms out there.. albeit an expensive one.. but if image quality is your primary concern, it may well be worth it..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 7:10 PM   #3

Tx, Hards80. I'm assuming you have one, so will ask you a few more questions.

Have you tried printing out any images as large as 20 x 30 inches (I read that they look great and would love verification)? If so how'd they look.. professional quality? And what were you shooting --- RAW? If not, what's the largest you've printed or seen printed from these?

And without breaking the bank, which 1 gig compact flash card would you recommend? The fujifilm zoom is quite fast and I read that the 8800 can be a bit slow in some aspects-- so one solution seems to bea cf card that is high speed

niihaltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 7:54 PM   #4

I don't have an 8800 though I was considering getting one. From what I have read, though, it's the focusing that can be slow, especially in low light. I don't think a fast CF card will remedy that. For what it's worth, I have had good luck with Transcend 45X CF cards.

It seems newegg (www.newegg.com) is selling 1 gig Transcend CF cards for just under 80 bucks.

Good luck.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote