Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 27, 2005, 11:03 AM   #1

I currently have an old Olympus Zoom digital camera, and I'm looking to potentially upgrade. I'm not locked in to any one brand, but it seems that Canon (Powershot S1Sand Kodak (EasyShare Z740) look like 2 of the best.

The following features are preffered

10x optical zoom

Auto and manual focus

The ability to take action photos

The ability to add a lens would be nice, but I don't think SLR is in our price range or my talent range.

The ability to use AA batteries (rechargeable or otherwise) as that has come in handy on the road

Using the same memory card as the Olympus would be ideal, but I don't think that'll work with either one of these (and smartmedia is a pretty old and relatively slow technology or so I've heard) and I'm not real sure about that Kodak docking station. Do you need that or would a card reader work as well?

There are probably a few other things I'm not thinking about. Let me know what I'm forgetting

Additionally,I do not have a camcorder at all, the last one I used was my parents mini-VHS (if I'm remembering correctly). I don't know if this is a correct forum or not to discuss camcorders, and I do apologize if this is in the wrong place.

Right now I'm leaning towards a miniDV camera,possiblya Canon (ZR200) or a Panasonic (PV-GS14?), but again, I'm not sold on a particular brand or item yet.

I'd like one that has firewire/usb connections. One that isn't too noisy. I don't totally understand the issue of low light conditions and I've heard that miniDVs usually do not perform well in those conditions, but like I said, I don't really know what those conditions are. My media production days are years off. A battery that you can charge off the camera would be prefferable and there is probably much more that I'm forgetting.

Thanks for any and all help!
IndiGONoLeS&BuCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links