Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 28, 2005, 4:04 PM   #1

I have a list of 7MP cameras that I'm choosing among, pls give me some suggestions as to which one you feel is best. If you have another one in mind, pls let me know as well. BTW, I'm not really a pro with regards to cameras, but if I want to take pictures at a concert (assuming Isitpretty close to the stage eg within the first 15 rows), is a 5MP camera suffice to take good pictures or should I go for the 7MP ones instead?

Canon SD 500
Casio EX-750
Nikon Coolpix 7600 or 7900
Sony DSC-P200

Thx for any feedback.

LS2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2005, 9:34 PM   #2

LS2005 wrote:
is a 5MP camera suffice to take good pictures or should I go for the 7MP ones instead?
The number of mp's does not have anything to with a camera's ability to take good pictures. The ability to take good pictures depends on lens quality, and on it's ability to figure out the correct exposure. The number of mp's determines how big the file size is. IOW, a 2mp Panasonic FZ will give you better pics than a 7mp Bell&Howell.

If you want to take pics in situations that are outside of the average photographic situation, then you might look at the cameras that are more suited to whatever situation you think you might find yourself in. In your case, you want to take pics at concerts. In most cases, this means lower light levels. For taking pics in lower light levels, you need something with a powerful flash, which might not be a good thing to use at concerts. A better alternative would be a camera with high light sensitivity (ISO), which will allow decent exposures in low light without using the flash. None of the cameras you mention have high enough ISO to provide decent shots in lower light levels, but you can consider the Fuji F-10, which has an ISO that goes up to 1600.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 7:23 PM   #3

I just bought an Olympus C-7000 and I love it for its excellent image quality and lots of features and manual controls that you usually do not find in a point and shoot It has 7.1 pixels. This link offers a review. Just scroll down to the model: camerhttp://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=6a.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote