Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 2, 2005, 4:21 AM   #1

Hello all,

I am currently living in Vietnam, which is a truly photogenic place, and have decided that I would like to buy a new digital camera. I currently use a Canon Powershot A310 and have had some great results from it considering its limitations (I put down the good pictures to the colourful nature of the country, rather than to any innate skill of my own!). I now would like to move on from dabbling to more serious photography.

The biggest problems I've had have been due to a lack of a powerful zoom - often people can be shy about having their photograph taken, and to be honest I prefer more candid, everyday shots, rather than cheesy smile for the tourist ones. The other issue is being able to take 'quick' shots - I've missed far too many good pics because of the slow response speed of my current camera, plus it's not great at capturing fast moving objects - the masses of scooters here have to be seen to be believed!

So I would like some help in choosing a camera around the prosumer/dSLR range.

I would like to spend something in the region of $1,200 which hopefully would include a good quality lense. This camera will have to last me for a good number of years!

Despite Steve's excellent reviews, I still seem to be rather baffled as to what to do. I seem to have narrowed down the field to the following:

Cheaper end:
Nikon Coolpix 8700
Minolta DiMAGE A2
Fujifilm S20 Pro

More expensive end of my budget:
Canon EOS 20D
Nikon D70
Nikon D100

Thanks very much for any advice

JCSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links