Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:13 AM   #1

Hi all, I am looking at the new crop of consumer 7.1 megapixel cameras but there's one from each company which leads to the terrible process of widdling them down to one. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I'm looking at:

Canon Powershot S70
Sony DSC-W7
Nikon Coolpix 7900
Casio Exilim EX-Z750
Samsung Digimax V700

If you know of any others that might be better feel free to express your opinions.

Simple point and shoot
Good picture quality in any lighting/environment
Any chance at being able to record something would be cool but not necessary

Peeve: I don't want a camera that looks like I'm the guy that bought the serious camera. It's my last summer before college and my parents thought it'd be a good idea if I got a camera. I'll be taking candid pictures of my friends and I mostly so I don't want to be whipping out some prosumer looking camera. Just a nice sleek camera that happens to take great shots will do!

Thanks in advance!
xkegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:36 PM   #2

Why do you need 7MPs?

More MPs in p&s don't mean better pictures.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:47 PM   #3

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Five stars

kensr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:14 PM   #4

Point taken, but a more thorough response would be nice. Like point me in the right direction, recommend something else, anything.
xkegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:20 PM   #5

Have you considered the Sony P200? It's sleek and takes good pictures. It also has a good video mode provided that you use MS Pro (640x480 at 30fps limited only by memory stick size). Good for snapshots and definitely doesn't look like a prosumer. Good luck in your camera search. :-)
m333333333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 10:19 AM   #6

I have a S70, I can say read the review on this site about it. I like it but have not had any of the other choice cameras you listed.
kazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 11:08 AM   #7

Maybe you should look out for the Fuji F10. It has the latest CCD chip that is utalized for low light as opposed to interpolation. This equates to ISO1600 for a P&S at full resolution. While 1600 will be a little noisy, it is available, and ISO800 is perfectly usable with that camera. It's main downfall is that you can't adjust shutter, apeature, etc, but that is okay for you, since you just want point and shoot. It also doesn't have an optical viewfinder. Instead it has a large 2.5inch LCD screen. It doesn't quite have 7MP, but the 6.3MP sensor is a good one. The flash is pretty powerful as well, and it has AF assistance, so it is obvious Fuji was making a camera optimized for low light here.

Steve does not yet have a review on the camera, but here is a link to one
The camera can be safely purchased between $300 and $400. Places such as Buydig.com and dell.com both offer the camera.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 11:12 AM   #8

Take a look at the F10...compact, P&S, 6.3 MP, ISO 1600 (great for low light without flash)...

After you read the review, check out the sample pics - could be the one for you.

Good luck in your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:00 PM   #9

Try Olympus 7070!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:G

Ghiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 7:15 PM   #10

Or the Olympus C-7000 which is fast, compact, and takes excellent quality photos. It retails for $599 but I picked one up for $365.00 and you can get a deal if you look around. It's a wonderful camera loaded with features and even manual controls should you decide to become a camera enthusiast later on. Check out Dave's Picks and scroll down to Olympus C-7000 for a review: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=6
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote